Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Battle of the Bulge

More often than not, i think most women have one issue or another with their (gasp!) weight. Too fat, too thin, too flabby, too muscular... Sigh. Once too often, women just love to pick a fight with their own bodies, whether or not there is a presence of provocation. 

And, yes. You've guessed it. I'm one of those women. I was born a normal weight infant, but my weight started to increase faster than the ideal growth rate since i was about 5 years old or so. Once that started, it never stopped. I never knew how to stop my weight from escalating. I guess, neither did my parents. 

You think being an overweight adult is hard? Try being an overweight kid. You face ridicule in every corner, not to mention the embarassment of not being able to find anything in your size in the kid's department. And, remember the weighing in that you have to do repeatedly in school? Lucky for me i attended an all-girls' school, so less ridicule from the opposite sex. (But i do still get them from inter-school activities, tuition, mengaji classes, bus rides, you get the picture, right?..oh not to forget, sharp-tongued relatives!)

So, childhood for me wasn't really the best time of my life. And i blamed that on my weight. Until now, i always feel that if only i wasn't a fat girl, i could've achieved so much more. Not that i'm not grateful with what i have now. I am. It's just that things could've been different, you know?

That said, I've vowed to always keep my kids' weight in check. So, please don't give me crap about not letting my kids enjoying life by banning candies and junk food.

Back to my battle.

I graduated from high school a whopping 75kg. I went into college, shed some weight, thanks to increased activity and self-induced bulimia. I can credit that to peer pressure (and influence). So my weight always hovered around 70 - 73 kg. Maintained that weight zone through uni. 

Had a breakthrough dieting & working out period in which i managed to get my weight down to 60 kg, eating only fruits and veg, if I'm not mistaken, and only those listed under negative calorie foods. Workout consisted of walking on a daily basis, plus aerobics every other day. But of course, the weight loss didn't last. Before long, i was back at my "comfort" weight zone.

I was at my heaviest during my second pregnancy, during my last few weeks, I think i was at 98 kg.. It felt horrible! (Not the pregnancy, only the heaviness!)

One year down the road from my second pregnancy, my weight's back to the higher end of the "comfort" zone, but I was so upset looking at my mid section. Cutting the story short, i was again embroiled into dieting, and from my research this time around i came about another diet. 

I went on this diet for 45 days. I lost almost 5kgs. My weight actually came down lower than the 70kg zone! I was (and am still) elated about the result! For now, i've already ended the diet, because i need to do my qadha' fasting before the fasting month comes, but I'm certain to go back onto this diet after Raya. I've never been quite so excited on a diet before, and somehow, being on this diet I didn't really feel like wanting to get out of it.

Anyways, I'm not describing the nature of this diet just yet, so as not to jinx it, kind of. We'll see how long this weight loss is going to last, ok?

No comments: